Friday, February 22, 2008

Gah...

I was going to upload pictures except that the wireless which we are taking from someone else is not working all that well. But I guess i'll update

Hm... trying to think of things that would be interesting to share.

The little boy that i live with pees everywhere and last night we were playing in my room and he peed on my floor. Thankfully he was not on my bed.

We are almost done our second week of Swahili and next Saturday we have our exam which is all oral. Scary... especially because the teachers can be very intimidating. One of them i realized, unbottons every other botton of his shirt in class when he gets hot. Another one always asks us "What the hell is this?" when he really means "What does this word mean?" Another one always uses the phrase "deep fried" for being wasted. They are intense but i guess i've learned to like them.

Some of the lectures are so boring because i don't like politics and learning about how systems work. So i tend to zone out alot. The lecturers love to talk, they go over time all the time.

Oh, and asian time is not all that bad compared to Ugandan time. It's somewhat understandable because of the crazy traffic that you can't really help here. But a lot of times we just wait for our lectureres (one time we waited for 45 minutes)

They gave me a desk! So i now have a desk in my room. I'll post pictures once i find good internet connection.

Oh right. So we have a mouse in our house. A couple nights ago i was FREAKED out because i woke up to the noise of plastic bags being looked through. At first i thought someone was in my room looking through my trash, then i figured it was probably an animal. But i was so scared to look because i hear there are snakes and whatnot here. So i am lying in bed... i have my flashlight but i'm afraid if i turn it on it will freak out and attack me. I am in a mosquito net so I feel somewhat safe. Eventually I hear the thing running around ON THE WALL! I flash my light at it and see its head and tail hiding behind the curtain. I was pretty relieved once i figured out it was only a mouse. *sigh... i hear it every now and then crawling around but it doesn't bother me anymore.

All i've been eating is break. I have little muffins for breakfast, or slices of bread with tea, then i make myself PB&J for lunch, then i come back for afternoon tea which is usually the little muffin or bread. They do give fruit every now and then but bread everywhere. Then for dinner i have rice and potatos. The no/low carb diet would NEVER work here.

O and I had papaya for the first time here. SO NASTY. smells bad. tastes bad. But i don't know how to deny food if its served to me. =T

I need to buy clothes. I brought too little. I'm wearing a tank top today for the first time and am hoping nobody gets offended. But i have nothing that it clean. gah. okay. i guess taht's good for today.

I miss everyone! Oh and i have the address that people can send me letters to. Here it is

Julia Shon
School for International Training
Kati House, Ground Floor
Plot 2, Kyaggwe Road
P.O. Box 23431, Kampala

It takes two weeks to arrive and 90 cents to send a regular letter.

okay hopefully pictures next time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I just found out that you have this blog set up! Anyways, sounds like things have been going well and have been interesting. I got a calling card for mom, dad and me to call you. I'll try to give you a call sometime. I've been getting hammered at work lately. Anyways, be safe, eat healthy, and have fun! Take care. Love you.

Unknown said...

hello my darling... finally i was able to sit down and read your blog... works been too busy but gosh i really miss you! it seems things are going well for you in Uganda. It's so awesome that you're over there. I'm jealous! well i've been praying for you! Hope you're healthy and safe... and most importantly having fun! Expect something in the mail ;) love you darling!

-your cousin =)

who beefed said...

yay! i finally get an update of life in Uganda! i will be checking this blog weekly to see how you're doing. hahah some of yoru updates literaly made me laugh out loud..like you wanting to smack that child and him walking aroudn w/ no pants peeing everywhere. HAHHAH things sound pretty different there. but im really really happy you're enjoying it. i dont know how you deal with cold showers, but i guess if its hot enough its not as bad? i miss you a lot :( i can't wait to see you..which is kinda far off. but im waiting! still gotta make those creme brulee thingies you got me :) always thinking of you!! <3