Sunday, February 24, 2008

Okay, I finally found a decent internet place!

Intersting thing JUST happened

I'm on a matatu (taxi) and people slowly get off one by one. eventually i'm one of two that is on and the conductor guy (not the driver but his money collecter person) looks at me a couple times. I pay him and he says hello. Then he asks if i'm Japanese. I say that i'm Korean. He then says "I like koreans." with a huge smile on his face. I'm flattered slash creeped out. He then says something to me but i can't understand him for the life of me. I say "what" a coupel times, still gibberish. Then i say "I CAN"T HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING" and he finally says "Can I have your phone number" and i say no but can't help laugh to cover up for me being sort of scared that i'm in a taxi with strangers all men that are at this point laughing at me. I'm at my stop and he says "you refuse to give me your number" while sort of blocking my way. I say sorry and leave. I never feel safe here but not in a really bad way. Maybe i'm just scardy cat. Oh Uganda... By the way, this man's teeth were rotting so evertime he smiled at me i was just that much more unatracted/freaked out.

I stayed at a hotel last night with my two friends because we needed to get away from our "families" It was nice. We ate chinese last night which was legit but a little on the pricy side. Met some girl from texas who was here with her 1 year old son because the father lives here? Or he has family here so they are thinking about marriage? She was funny. She hates this place. Says people are straight up rude (which in American standards they are but here its just culture, much like korea where people just budge in front of you and simply don't give a bleep) She can't stand the food. She doesn't like the crazy traffic. I feel for her but yeh, I guess Uganda can only be enjoyed with an open mind and willingness to just deal with certain things.

I think i'll be doing pics only of facebook because it seems to work better there.

you guys are so awesome for facebooking/emailing/commenting!! Thanks so much, especially for the prayers! I went to KPC on Sat night for service. It was good. It's whenever I go to church that I feel the most homesick. I miss Jubilee and KCPC very much. Although I know it shouldn't matter where I am when it comes to worshiping, but I realize now what a joy it is to worship with a church that you already have built relationships with. I do have a coupel sisters who are also believers that I can share my thoughts/struggles with which is really great, plus my homestay family is christian. I have much to be thankful for being here =)

6 comments:

Jungmin w. Choi said...

Heyyy juliaa ~ im the first person to comment hahaha. awesome! anyways, there was passion movement taking place in the states and they're expanding it to world tour and the first place is uganda, campalla (?) i believee. and the price is freeeee! so get yourself over there and worshipp cuz it ws so FREAKIN awesome. okay im getting like crazy excited here. maybe too much =] neways, eat well and soak yourself in ugandan culture [ excluding the guy with rotting teeth hitting on ya! ;) ] <3

Unknown said...

i just read through your blog and I couldn't stop laughing the whole time. Enjoy yourself there and stop pissing off the natives. hahha *sigh* Uganda hahahha.

Robin Lee said...

hahaha i woulda been soooo scared tooo...but yes just as isaac said...it was really funny...i couldn't help but laugh out loud. i'm really happy and relieved that you found a church there and that some of your abroad friends are also believers AND that your homestay family is Christian. Remember you were worried before you left? =) Things worked outt =)
I'm glad you're doing well~~

<3 Robin

Jamess said...

haha...interesting story

james shin

Unknown said...

This probably isn't an appropriate comment but for some reason I feel sad reading your posts. Maybe it's because I miss you so much. And the fact that you live with no warm water and a mouse but are so thankful regardless. Anywho, papayas are ok sometimes when they are riped perfectly. I've had good papaya once or twice but it really isn't all that good even then. My friend Diana LOVES papayas.. maybe you'll get used to the taste? And comment on my facebook wall with 3 things you miss about the states. (That could perhaps fit into a box?) Haha, so not me silly!

-hannah yoon

Unknown said...

julia!!! its funny how you hear a person's voice when you read their writing. i heard your voice so clearly during that taxi story!!

soak in the total experience because its such an amazing opportunity. hope God gives u some insight - maybe ministry in africa is in ur future??? :)