Monday, April 28, 2008

I'm still here =)

Sorry I haven't update in so long.

For the past three weeks i've been at a children's nutrition unit at Mulago Hospital. I've been observing and then interviewing the caregivers of the children. It's always interesting to hear their stories and it makes me thankful for what I have. Some of these women have husbands that died or left them. As a result, they need to work to support themselves and the child, but then there is no one to care for the child. Many times they will leave the child with a neighbor and pay some money, but most of the times it leads to the child getting malnourished due to several issues like stress from being separated by the mother therefore a loss of appetite, or neglect by the neighbor, or an underlying disease or infection, etc.

These children are absolutely adorable but it's pretty sad to see how small and skinny they are. Some are several months old yet they look skinnier and much weaker than a new born baby.

I can't believe i'll be back in the states in three weeks... I thought I would be a lot more excited to go home, but a part of me knows i'll miss Uganda.

I'm not sure if i'm ready for another culture shock when I go back to America.

Anyways, just letting people know what i've been up to. I went to this club and there was a performer named Elephant man as well as some others. Not sure if anyone has heard of him because I haven't but he's from jamaica and is supposedly a big reggae artist. Anyways, it was lots of fun.

I'm learning how to ride a motorcycle that is not automatic. I'm pretty bad at it but maybe i'll have it down by the time i get back.

okay, see you all soon!

1 comment:

S.You said...

elephant man? omg! this guy from my work was talking about him. i just googled it "elephant man+raggae" haha he looks really scary!

i am so excited to hear your stories. can't wait to see you. we miss you <3